Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mary the Piano Wonder

About the time I moved in with Mary the painter/dog-lover/wine-guzzler at the beginning of the summer, I had a spontaneous desire to learn piano...and play some pop songs, obviously (Gaga, Marina & the Diamonds, and the like).

Lucky for me, Mary already had a keyboard located conveniently in my new room! She was also nice enough to let me use her piano books from when she was a kid. These weren't just any piano books, though. These books contained wrinkled margins full of the illegible scribbles of Toddler Mary.  After a bit of decoding, I figured out that Mary, from an early age, would not stand to have her self-esteem trampled on by some stuffy piano maestro. She was a star and C Major could suck it. Some of the highlights the Mary Piano Diary were: "F" marks changed to "A"s, "wrong" changed to "Way to Go!", and "Needs Improvement" changed to "Needs a talent agent!" To call that little Polish girl precocious would be the understatement of the year ha.

Alas, these kiddie books weren't doing it for me sooo I ordered some new ones. The one that I'm most excited for is...wait for it...Gaga sheet music 101! And even though I leave for Buenos Aires in two weeks (eep!) I'm going to try to learn all I can until then.

So sad I can't take Mary with me but maybe I can take a book or two and, when I'm missing Cross Creek Cafe (our local hangout), chuckle about the girl who dreamed of being a star against all odds.


No comments:

Post a Comment