Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Body, The Honeybadger

Like the majestic, nastyass honey badger who takes what he wants, I've determined that my body sleeps when it wants. Eat turkey, drink warm milk, count sheep. put on a snuggie (Kelly(mom) has zebra print) To some these are words of sleep wisdom. Little tricks that assert your authority over your noncompliant body to which it can only reply "Got me!" However, to the owner of a honey badger body there can be no short-cuttery, only waiting.

Last night, on the cusp of being granted sweet sleep from the honey badger, a chance to recharge my batteries, start anew, and lolligag in dreamland---my all too timely alarm sounded off. Have I mentioned that I'm a big fan of waking up in the morning? You betcho bottom dollar.

I arrived half-dozing, half-dreading my first Spanish essay. A weird feeling, to say the least. SeƱora Picas (Lil' Salsa bean) hobbled in talking to herself in Spanish either about the weather, eating a hot dog for breakfast (girl after my own heart), or if she remembered to put deodorant on. I'm a Spanish minor? As I struggled to contact any sliver of Hispanic ancestry I might have for inspiration (I have none but a boy can dream, can't he?) I realized that Lil' Salsa Bean had switched her rantings to English. 

She began venting about the talkative French woman outside the door who must have been on cappuccino #6, how this was a busy week for Lil' Salsa Bean and she was so stressed with work as it was/didn't know if she could make it through the week. I shared dislike for this Frenchie's blabbering seeing as I had 10 more minutes to power out 200 Spanish words/contact my Hispanic great grandparents. Soon after this venting, she switched back to her native tongue but for a moment there, me and Lil' Salsa Bean were united against a common enemy. Standing shoulder to shoulder, a hateful, passive-aggressive force to be reckoned with. And for a moment there, I saw a layer of Lil' Salsa Bean I had never seen before. Something soft and human beyond that hard, outer shell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment