Saturday, September 24, 2011

Tome Time

Restarted Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen today. The first time around I got through the first 100 pages and was like errr nexttttt. It felt like I was being stampeded by an elephant hoard of wordy descriptions but wasn't moving anywhere plot-wise.

Wellllllll this time around I was prepared for Gruen's verbose, dramatic style and, to be honest, I'm kinda diggin it. Looking back now, I don't think the problem for me was that it was too wordy. I think the thing is, is that Gruen, like the circus train Jacob jumps on, takes some time before she picks up speed. At first there were secrets kept from the reader and sequences of nursing home ongoings(exciting!) but now that I'm into the meat of the book, the Gruen Express is chug-a-luggin at full speed. Can't wait for more

Also, just bought Tina Fey's BossyPants, Hunter Thompson's The Rum Diaries, and the oh-so-appropriate tome for any YesAnder, Sara Lewis Holmes' Operation Yes.

#NewBooksOnDeck



1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ry...I know what you mean about the first 100 pgs...but I wouldn't have restarted it...that's great, and you got past it to the real meat of the book...wow, hope you like the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete