Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mr. Mustachio and FunnyBone Tickled Enthusiasts

Due to my "you must take this if you want to graduate while you're still in your 20s" class selection last semester, I promised myself I would take at least one class this semester with a little pizazz and a whole lotta pass/fail grading, the Holy Grail of grading scales. (Hallelujah!)

Flash forward to the first week of class, I'm sitting pretty in my new-found DocFilm class that not only comes with Holy Grail grading and pizazz, but the added bonus of a gung-ho professor with a full-bodied, mysterious mustachio. Not everyday does one get the chance to see a mustache of that magnitude, seriously.

The assignment given to us by Mr. Mustachio? Pick something you're passionate about and film a documentary. Beyond psyched.
The classic baby on a grandma


I got to brainstorming and remembered that Gypsy had been talking about a group of people known as "party monsters" in New York who dressed as wildly and eccentrically as possible and get paid to appear at clubs. I'm a costume fiend (baby-on-a-grandma's back, hotdog, etc) so I thought this'd be perfect. Only problem: my filming never got off the ground once I got to the big apple. womp womp womppp. Seriously though, doing work in The City That Never Sleeps? ForgetAboutIt.

So, I regrouped from this lazy-on-my-part speed bump and, a couple days ago, came up with a new focus that, I think, is way more up my alley. Instead, I'm going to highlight an Athens-based group RubberSoul Yoga who specialize in LAUGH yoga. People come together and feed off of each other's spontaneous laughs, giggles, chuckles, ha-has, and ho-hos to gain the health benefits of laughter/to just have a spankin good time!(And this is an assignment??)

 Next week, with camera in hand,  I'm going to my first laugh-a-palooza yoga session to document the experience and interview people on what tickles their funnybones. Maybe, just maybeee, I can even get enough quality footage to put a smile on the well-groomed, bristly face of Mr. Mustachio.



No comments:

Post a Comment