Monday, October 3, 2011

Baby Cows ONLY

Worked out today with Anna Banana and got some choco milk afterwards because people keep telling me that chocolate + dairy=post-workout miracle drank. Sipping on that foam-n-bubbly, chocolatey concoction made me start thinking about a discussion the Moyer family once had.

 We were going around the table during the "Good and Bad" portion of the night,  (Tell 1 thing good that happened and 1 bad from the day) Allie and I were suffering through it, waiting for the soonest opportunity to bolt for the computer, lest the other sibling get to Sims first, when my father exclaimed that his "good" was that we now had moved from 2% milk to skim.

 Now, usually I was relatively unresponsive during these Good/Bad exercises because the point was to generate conversation. I was a middle-schooler and conversation with the family was the last thing on my mind but on this instance, I piped up because what.a.ridiculous."good". Changing of the milks was not  legitimate and I was not gonna let Tom slide like that so I said, in a little passive-aggressive rebellion of my own, "We should drink WHOLE milk."

Now, this was at a time when I was willing to contradict anything my father said and this was no exception. He questioned if I had ever even drank whole milk. "Uhh Cheyeah, It's creamy and delicious" I lied. Of course we continued buying skim milk and Tom led on like he believed that I actually LIKED whole milk, not falling for my attempt to bring him into another pointless argument.

If I had been my dad, I would have bought a gallon of whole milk and challenged this lanky little rebel to drink to his heart's content. BUT, that's one thing I appreciate now that my parents did when we were kids. They let us, these sassy munchkins feel like we had power (when really we had none) because sooner or later we'd realize on our own that whole milk is rull rull gross. They let us realize through experience that whole milk is thick, chunky and should be exclusively for baby cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment