Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Quarter for Karma

Went to the gym this morning waay early. Typed in my ID number at the turnstile. beep beep boop boop. Access Granted. Groggily stumble down the white-washed corridor to the lockers. Insert my quarter into the locker. Clink clink. Swing my towel over my shoulder. Whoosh. Ready2Go.

As I'm about to enter the weight room, ready for a quick workout so I can get back to snoozing, a distraught girl fumbles to the lockers. She asks if she can use a quarter for the lockers. Being on a one-track mind, Ready2Go, and trained to never give money away I lie: "Sorry only got one!" I walk off and immediately feel a weird sense of guilt. It seemed like second nature for me to keep what was mine and have a "sucks to suck" attitude toward her. My whole workout I think about that girl and, although it wasn't that big of a deal that I didn't part with a quarter, I'm more annoyed that I so easily dismissed someone else's problem when I could of helped so easily.

I started feeling nauseous during the workout (karma at its finest) and called it quits pretty early. As I was walking out, a kid huffed under his breath that he didn't have a quarter. B-I-N-G-O. I thrust a quarter into his hand screaming "A quarter for you, good sir!" Maybe I got a wee bit too aggressive and enthusiastic in my haste to right the wrong(evident by the "A quarter was not worth the spectacle you just made" look he shot me) but, nonetheless, I felt a lot better doing it right the second time.

Yay for getting karma back on yo side.

1 comment:

  1. Karma says you get what you deserve.

    Christianity says we all deserve death,
    but by faith get the righteousness of Christ.

    Over every act of kindness, no matter how small, (done for the sake of Jesus) hovers a sense of holiness.

    ReplyDelete