Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Laugh-Cry Rainbow

 T-minus 30min until the weekend from hell begins. Oye. Thursday.Friday.Saturday.Sunday...and wait forrrrr ittt. Tuesday, as well, for DUTY!  Really bummed that I couldn't get someone to cover because its Pride in Atlanta this weekend and I woulda ruully liked to go.

The reason I wanted to go so bad this year is because last year was my first year at Pride and it was way different than anticipated.

 Here's why:
I woke up Sunday morning last year feeling like a sleep-deprived, GROGmonster because the day before had been a huge gameday. STRIKE 1.
 I dragged myself out of bed and slumped down the hallway to my friend Natalia's room who was gonna drive (back in the day when i had no wheeelz) She was still sleeping. I waited. 30 more minutes turned into an hour turned into two hours. STRIKE 2.
 We finally were on our way decked out in a vast array of ROY, G, and BIB to good old Atlanta. We were famished from our early morning paint/rainbow deck-out frenzy so naturally we stopped at the finest fried chicken establishment the world has ever seen, Zaxbys, to fuel our festive spirits. Of course, we stop to eat in Backwardsville, USA, chock full of overall enthusiasts and Confederate hailing progressives. We walk in in full rainbow attire and get stares, snickers, points, laughs, and finally, comments. STRIKE 3.

The tension of the group from leaving late, the GROGmonster syndrome, and the bigotry assault of the fine citizens of Winder, GA finally caught up with Natalia, Allie Gupta Keller, and I and by the time we get back to the car we were all bawling. Just straightup crying. Looking back on it, I can't even remember crying for any particular reason. i don't think the "strikes" had even registered with my GROGbrain. The only thing that could register with my body was--cry. The three of us looked at each other, sobbing there in Natalia's little Honda and started hysterically laughing at the same time.

We got to Pride rulll emotionally drained but still bounced around the parade to see all the characters (Dykes on Bikes etc.) Left kinda early. weird day to say the least but at least I can check laugh-crying off the bucket list.

I dont mind not going too bad though. Other cities are bound to have em too and what a good excuse to jetset on another lanky excursion

No comments:

Post a Comment