Saturday, October 8, 2011

Marionette of AntiDuty

As part of a Resident Assistant duty weekend at UGA we're allowed to leave the building on Saturdays either from 7am-Noon or Noon-5pm. Unfortunately, I drew the short end of the straw on this one and was allowed to leave for the morning only. Whattttt-a-drag. I'm usually never up before noon anyways but, forcing myself to "yes and", I decided to get up at 7 in the AM to take full advantage of this measly fate I had chosen...Who knows? Maybe I could even get a cheery tip of the hat from good ole Mr. Sunshine. It'd been a while since I had been awake before him anyways.

So, this morning I suited up for a run. Shoes, bunny ears and burrow through the thicket (I was on one those kids that needed remedial lace tying), shorts, bandana. Being an away game, Athens was a ghost town and I thought it'd be a perfect day to bop around and take in a breathe of the retreating autumn before winter took over.

With Sufjan Stevens at my side, I tip-toed out of the sleeping, dreary dormitory. I stormed down the hill adjacent to my prison cave with food in my sights. Dewy grass blurred to my left and right. Crunch. I hit the gravel then the road, still no souls in sight. As I got into the groove of the run my breath became heavier and my body adjusted to the rhythmic pulsing of the music. Then my favorite part of running happened right about at the crescendo of Promises (I had switched from Sufjan to get a little more WOMP in my stride)  I hit that moment of a run when your mind kinda tunes out everything and your body feels like it's controlled by strings. The music moves you like a marionette. Realllll cathartic. Arm swing, leg swivel, beat, beat, breathe.  Melancholy upbeat acoustic bliss. Weird to try to describe it but it kept me sane for the rest of my duty today.

As I approached the dining hall, the sun gave me a little peeking "how do ya do" from the horizon. I sprinted for my finish and dove into the grass under a sycamore. I laid under the pointy needles of grass, already brittle for winter and gave out a sigh.

Music + NatureRunning= My Antidote to duty..My AntiDUTY.

No comments:

Post a Comment